- Do they have a low heel rise? Yes. They have a 4 mm heal rise which is fine. Ideally I like the heel rise to be 0 mm, but 4 mm is perfectly acceptable.
- Do they have thin soles? Yes. They could be thinner, but these shoes were intended to be used as a trail shoe, so they have little nubs on the soles to provide traction. If New Balance eliminated these nubs, they would be better for street running.
- Are they flexible? Yes. They are very flexible.
- Are they light weight? Yes. They are very light weight.
When I went to buy a pair of New Balance Minimus Shoes, I was presented with both two versions. One designed for road running and the one designed for trail running. I didn't even bother trying on the Minimus version for road running because they had think soles with lots of cushioning. However, I was immediately attracted to the trail runners. After giving them a test run, I knew that these shoes would be very good for Pose running and minimalist running in general.
I've been running in these shoes for about a month now, and my enthusiasm for them has not diminished. These are great shoes for Pose and minimalist running, and they are also excellent for running on and off the road. There are a few other things that I like about them.
- They are comfortable. I love just wearing them around even when I'm not running.
- They are made to breath. So they do not stink up as easily as my VFFs.
- They have a good grip because of the Vibrams sole
- They look cool! You don't have to take my word for this, because I have two experts to consult with on matters of fashion, and I've been assured by my thirteen and seventeen year old nieces that they do indeed look cool.
For further reading:
Your Pose Running Coach's Blog: Pose Running Shoes